If the thought of warmer weather and long hazy summer evenings is getting you in the holiday mood, perhaps it’s time to book your next trip? And, if luxurious four-poster beds, fine dining, knights in shining armour and spectacular views of the Northumbrian countryside sound like a fun way to fill the summer holidays, be sure to add a stay at Langley Castle Hotel to your itinerary.
Four-star Langley Castle is located just a few miles from Hadrian’s Wall and the medieval town of Hexham, with its magnificent Abbey. The castle itself is also bursting with 673 years of history that is brought to life in a dramatic Drawing Room, original castle features and unique medieval décor.
Here are just a few highlights of a summer stay at Langley Castle Hotel:
- Book on to a daily Battlements Tour and learn more about the castle’s genuine fortifications and rich history.
- Enjoy afternoon tea, or a bite to eat, between 12pm and 4pm each day in the castle’s very grand Drawing Room, with its huge comfy chairs, knights in shining armour keeping guard, huge hanging chandeliers and feature, stained-glass window.
- Learn about Langley Castle’s 12 ‘posh’ toilets or Garderobes – the best example of medieval loos in Europe today.
- Be spooked by the Grey Lady, who (allegedly) roams the castle.
- Spot the majestic peacocks that roam the estate.
- Take to a Langley Castle window-seat, set into the seven-feet-thick walls, to gaze down at the view, or read quietly, in an extraordinary medieval book nook!
- Roam the grounds and enjoy the walks that are available across the estate and its woodlands.
- Spend time in the woodland grove – with the pathway even lit for you in the evening.
- Enjoy a glass of something chilled in the Langley Castle summerhouse, whilst watching water cascade from the fountain in front of you.
- Enjoy a day over at Hadrian’s Wall, just up the road, where the fascinating Vindolanda Fort and Museum and Roman Army Museum can also be explored.
- If bringing the family pooch (dogs are very welcome at Langley Castle), head to www.langleycastle.co.uk, to download a Doggy Guide to Canine Capers booklet, which gives details of the best spots across Northumberland, to enjoy with your pet pooch. (For an extra special pet stay, for a cost of £25 per night, your pet can tuck into a breakfast of sausages and scrambled eggs!)
End a day of exploration with a delicious dinner at the castle’s two-AA Rosette Josephine Restaurant, or have a more relaxed meal in the Drawing Room, before getting an early night in one of the hotel’s twenty-eight fabulous rooms. Whether that’s a Feature Room with four-poster bed, spa bath and sauna, or a Castle View Room with mesmerising views of the castle, you will be guaranteed a good night’s sleep. Ahead of a new day of adventures the next day, you can also tuck in to a hearty Northumbrian breakfast before you set off.
A two-night stay in August 2023 (weekday), based on two adults sharing a Castle View Room is £520.00 (bed and breakfast) and £750.00 (dinner, bed and breakfast). A room inside the castle costs from £618.00 and £848.00 respectively (prices at time of writing).
To book a summer getaway like no other at medieval and authentic Langley Castle, visit www.langleycastle.co.uk, or call 01434 688888.